PHONE - 417-825-6313


Mold is fungi, and grow throughout the natural environment. Tiny particles of mold are present in indoor and outdoor air. In nature, mold helps breakdown dead material and can be found growing on food, soil, plant matter and other items. Mold produce microscopic cells called "spores" which are very tiny and spread easily through the air. Live spores act like seeds, forming new mold growth (colonies) when they find the right conditions.


What does mold need to grow?


Mold only need a few simple things to grow and multiply.


Moisture: Mold needs moisture to grow. Plumbing leaks, roof leaks, wet crawlspaces, basements, and high humidity levels will allow mold to colonize.


Nutrients: Mold needs nutrients to grow. Starches in wood, carpet, drywall, and wall paper will allow mold to colonize.


Controlling excess moisture is the key to preventing indoor mold growth.


Can mold make you sick?


Mold can affect the health of people that are exposed to it. People are mainly exposed by breathing spores or other tiny particles. People can also be exposed through skin contact with mold contaminants and by swallowing it.

The type and severity of health effects that mold may produce are usually difficult to predict. The risk from mold exposure can vary greatly from person to person. New research is emerging every day on the toxic effects of common household molds.


Stachybotrys Chartarum (black mold) has been linked to:

. Seizures

. Headaches

. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

. Respiratory illness, Asthma and Allergies

. Systemic fungal infections with children and seniors

. Neurological issues including behavioral  problems and learning and developmental delays in children

No matter what type of mold is present, all indoor mold growth is potentially a health problem and should be removed promptly.


What to do if you suspect you have a mold problem?


Perform regular examinations of your home or building, looking for those mold colonies that appear as sploches of colored dots or patches. Pay special attention to areas where moisture can be an issue. Musty smell is a telltale sign you have a mold problem.


If you have experienced flooding in your home or building, clean and dry the area quickly, to inhibit mold growth. Check the area routinly for the signs of mold growth.


If you find you have a small mold problem, the CDC and EPA suggest that you only clean up an area no larger than 10ft by 10ft using a detergent and water solution while wearing a N95 mask. All other colonies larger than 100 square ft should be dealt with by a professional remediation company.




Joplin Mold Inspection and Remediation is a full service environmental company that specializes in mold inspections and environmental remediation in Joplin, Missouri and surrounding areas.


WHAT IS MOLD has been written for information purposes only. Joplin Mold Inspection and Remediation has obtained this information through educational studies.